password :  
I lost my password  |  Register  |   | 
Home   Presets   Search   Medias   Download   Support     Contact

Speaker change for AD100VT

Discussion forum for all the 'Chrome' series ADxxVT range of Valvetronix amps

Moderators: Voxman, laurent_56

Speaker change for AD100VT

Postby TS808 » 11 Sep 2006, 23:25

I'm seriously considering a speaker change for my AD100VT. I've tried an EQ in the effects loop, as well as a BBE Sonic Maximizer to enhance the tones, but am growing less satisfied with this amp the longer I own it.

The issue is that there is a profound "honk" in the midrange of my amp. On the Boutique OD for example, it almost sounds as though someone has stepped on a wah pedal. The Marshall's 80's tone sounds like mud above 12:00 and the high gain models...forget it..they are unuseable. I play strats by the way and have the NR off or only at about 9:00.

The cleans are great though.

I could spring for the NeoDogs, but at $200 each, I could trade the amp in and spend that much.

Can anyone suggest some good replacement speakers maybe made by Eminence?? The Red Fang was recommended by Eminence (I called them) but they are only rated at 30 watts. I need at least 50 watts.

I've owned the amp now for almost two months, and the speakers just have such a profound honk in them. By the way, I don't see anything on the speaker labels saying that they were made by Celestion...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2004 American Series Strat
2003 American Series Strat
Fender '72 tele thinline RI
Vox AD50VT 212
Peavey Delta Blues 210
Blackheart Handsome Devil Head with 212 cab.
TS808

Postby TS808 » 12 Sep 2006, 00:53

Just to add, I played through this tonight and the same thing..a honk or almost a "quack" in the sound. I could not get a good distortion setting on any of the models. I plugged in to my H & K just to make sure it wasn't the pure nickel strings I use, etc., and it was fine on the other amp.

Also, I noticed that my AD100VT has 16ohm speakers, not 8 ohm. They are also wired in series and not parallel.
Vox AD50VT 212
Peavey Delta Blues 210
TS808

Re: Speaker change for AD100VT

Postby Voxman » 12 Sep 2006, 01:08

TS808 wrote: By the way, I don't see anything on the speaker labels saying that they were made by Celestion...

They're not...the speakers are Vox' own.

The speakers in the AD100VT are distinctly 'average', but even so having played one I just can't agree with your comments of 'unuseability' on certain amp models. My gut feeling tells me that first & foremost you're simply not setting the amp correctly, especially if you are also using an external EQ.

However, if you're unhappy and are convinced that a speaker change is worthwhile then you need to look on various speaker manufacturer sites (eg Celestion, Eminence, Wharfedale, Jensen etc). You'll find detailed descriptions and suggested speakers to fit particular styles, and sometimes you'll also get sound samples (eg Celestion).

Any recommendations from a forum such as this is quite frankly of minimal value because tone is totally subjective. You need to try different speakers to see what YOU like - but even then unless you physically hear them in your amp with your guitar, even that has limitations. This is because the speaker cab itself can have a huge impact on tone.

You also need to think carefully about whether the AD100VT really is for you, and if a speaker upgrade really will make the amount of tonal difference & response you need. There's no doubt that quality speakers can transform an amps tone & response, but finding the right one can be less than simple.

Sorry there's no magic answer - it's simply a case of reading, listening, & experimentation.

Rich :wink:
Voxman
Administrator

Postby TS808 » 12 Sep 2006, 02:10

Voxman

These are definitely 16 ohm speakers and not 8 ohm. This is an oddity as the amp was bought brand new at Guitar Center.

Here is what the speakers say:

Vox Amplification Limited
Vox
Designed for Vox Sound Equipment
Impedance 16ohms
Power 80W RMS
300RFL03-1

Could these be the wrong speakers in this amp??
It's my understanding that they should be 8 ohms. The speaker labels are grey/white with blue lettering.
Vox AD50VT 212
Peavey Delta Blues 210
TS808

Postby One-Way » 12 Sep 2006, 04:21

Hi there,
I have a 50VT which the manual lists as a Vox original 12"x8 ohm made by Celestion. On the website it says Celestion 70/80. It is a Celestion modded to Vox specs anyway. I'm not sure whether this applies to the 100VT as well.

The 100VT is100watt RMS @ 8 ohms according to my owners manual. They are listed as Vox originals 12"x16 ohm.

So according to the information I have been reading in the "Electric Guitar Handbook", two speakers at 16 ohm should be wired in parallel to have a resistance of 8 ohms.
If they are wired in series they should be 4 ohm speakers, so two 16 ohm speakers wired in series would equal 32 ohms resistance.
Are you sure they are in series?
A guitarist friend of mine swears by Celestion Vintage 30's and puts them in every amp or cabinets he has.
As a last thought, you could try some different 2x12 cabinets plugged into an VT100 in a music store and hear what difference there is.
One-Way

Postby TS808 » 12 Sep 2006, 14:06

One speaker is wired to the other, so that is in series right? I thought if they were wired separately, they are wired in parallel? I could be wrong.

Anyway, the problem seems to be solved...I re-set the amp to factory presets and worked from there and it solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestion Voxman!

It seemed that the amp was getting stuck on certain settings...if I switched from manual to one of my stored settings, it seemed like the EQ would change and not remember the stored setting I had, causing alot of mud, midrange honk, etc. I would find then that if I tweaked a knob slightly (any knob) the amp would then jump back to where I had it set (prior to re-setting the amp last nite.)

I'm still going to try and exchange it today for a new one. After I restored the factory settings it was like a whole new amp...MUCH more top end sparkle, no mud, and no honk.

Down the road, I still might do a speaker swap just for the fun of it.
Vox AD50VT 212
Peavey Delta Blues 210
TS808

Postby One-Way » 13 Sep 2006, 07:13

Maybe these amps have a touch of Bill Gates "Windows" in them. That is they always crash and need rebooting no matter what version you are running.
One-Way

Postby Voxman » 13 Sep 2006, 21:34

Oneway - you're not far off the mark, but it's all been covered previously in the FAQ section " Maintenance tips on Valvetronix amps - Part 1 " : -

http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/viewto ... ?p=808#808

Rich :wink:
Voxman
Administrator

Postby One-Way » 14 Sep 2006, 09:27

Hey Rich,
I was only joking about these Valvetronic being like MS Windows.
They aren't designed by Microsoft are they? Ha Ha ha
One-Way

Postby Voxman » 14 Sep 2006, 09:47

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Voxman
Administrator

Next

Return to AD15VT - AD30VT - AD50VT - AD50VT212 - AD100VT